How are the HMRC and Companies house involved in contractors?

Your company has to have a registered office, which is often our address, rather than your home address. Official documents are sent here.

Every company has to file annual accounts with Companies House. These must be completed within 9 months of the accounting year end of your Company. We will ask for the information to do this within good time of the deadline.

Each Company must also file an Annual Return with Companies House at a cost of £13 on the anniversary of the Company’s incorporation. The return contains details on the directors and shareholders at the point of completion.

HMRC expect you to file Company accounts and a Company tax return with them within 12 months of the end your accounting year. However if there is any tax due they expect the Company to pay this within 9 months of the end of the accounting year.

Every director of the Company will also need to file a personal tax return for the tax year which ends in 5th April every year. We will ask you for any information we need in order to complete this. It needs to be filed by the 31st January after the previous 5th April.

We will file everything with Companies House and HMRC. All we need from you is the correct information so that we can complete everything accurately and on time. We then ask for your approval before filing any document.

Except for the £13 filing cost of the annual return all of this work is included as part of the monthly payments you make to CKS.

View our online calculators >

We have a range of calculators to help you to check and plan your finances

Read our limited companies guide >

It’s totally free, and gives you advice and guidance around setting up as a contractor or freelancer.